Wednesday, March 7, 2012

U.S. Certified Mail/Restraining order help?

OK, the judge approved my year-long restraining order against my mom earlier this month. I'm not gonna go into detail as to why I got a restraining order against my mom, since it is irrelevant. All I'll say is that I left her house around the beginning of November '11 and all of my personal belongings are still there. I requested in the order that she must let me into her house accompanied by a police officer to collect my belongings, and that cannot be enforced until the restraining order papers are served to her, and she is being incredibly difficult with that process. I've tried to have the local sheriff serve her; she didn't answer the door even though she was home, and now they nor the local police will not attempt to serve her again. Then I had a friend try to serve her twice: she told me that she heard her voice from inside the house, tried knocking on both the front door and the back door, same thing--didn't answer. I thought the only other option was to pay 75 dollars (the 4 and 5 keys other than the ones on the ten-key section of this library computer keyboard don't want to work for some reason, but that too is irrelevant to the situation) for a process server to deliver the forms to her, then I was later advised that I could have my friend leave a copy of the orders on her front doorstep, and mail another copy to her via Certified Mail. Now, I'm understanding that the mail carrier will hand-deliver the orders to her front door, and have her sign a form confirming that she recieved it. But what will happen if the same thing happens again where she doesn't answer the door? Will they keep trying until she does? Will I have to pay additional fees if they attempt to serve her more than once? Anyone's help will be greatly appreciated; I am also emailing this question to the U.S. Postal Service's customer service email address.U.S. Certified Mail/Restraining order help?
If she does not answer the door or refuses to sign for the certified letter, it will be returned to you unclaimed.

If your mother works or has any type of routine at all, it shouldn't be too difficult to get a process server to wait until she leaves the house or shows up at work to serve her.U.S. Certified Mail/Restraining order help?
I will give you WA State law since I am a process server in WA, your state is probably similar.



A respondant of a Restraining Order may be served anytime, anywhere. If she is not answering her door then serve her in public, at work, the store etc. If I were you I would spend the money and hire a process server.



The Restraining Order must be served in person and cannot be sent through Certified Mail.



Their are different types of Processes that we serve. Each type has its own unique set of rules and laws pertaining to it. Unfortunately for you, R.O.'s are not a type that can be served through Certified Mail.



If I were you I would spend the money and hire a process server to assist you. Then the legal responsibilty falls to them.
  • envy 14 2
  • dominoes
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment