Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Need advice from a Graphic Designer!?

I was offered a graphic design position from my former employer in a different state then I live now. She asked me to design these monthly “Dog of the month” flyers to post on her website (she owns a boarding facility) and to create certain documents that will be used at her facility on a daily basis. I have done this before and while it’s easy for me to do, it is time consuming. Also I never felt I was being paid enough so I’m hesitant to accept this position.



Now everything will be done via email and the postal service so there are a bunch of other “expenses” that were not present before.



I never finished school for Graphic Design so I don’t have a certificate, just experience. She offered me this position because “I am the only one she knows with the skills”, her words. Keep in mind she owns her business and it's very, very small and no where near corporate.



So…

-How do I charge her? Based on hours worked or a monthly charge?



-What do I charge her for? Just MY labor or include materials such as ink, postage, internet, office supplies, etc.



She told me to think about it then offer a bid. I don’t want to offend her with my bid but at the moment $200 a month is looking fair. But… is it?



Thanks!Need advice from a Graphic Designer!?
I would charge her per project or per flyer/document. If you're going to charge per month keep in mind you will only get paid once. If you're doing this as a side job then it might not be too bad, but if you're dependent on the money you might consider a per project charge or an hourly charge that you would bill her for every 2 weeks.



Charge her for your time/labor and the materials you need to get the job done. Materials including any ink/paper you buy yourself and postage. I wouldn't charge for internet service because that's your responsibility as far as expenses go and you already had internet service before taking on the project (I assume)- it wasn't something she asked you to have.



I can't say whether $200 is a fair amount because I don't know how much the supplies cost or how much time you spend working on each project. Just use your best judgment and I'm sure things will be fine. You could always put out a bid and state that you're willing to negotiate. If she comes back with a number that you feel is too low, then don't take on the project. Only do it if you feel like it's worth the money and time spent.



Good luck!Need advice from a Graphic Designer!?
you need to write out a contract. Line list everything you will be charging her for, and come up with an hourly that is fare. I charge 20 per hour. Always charge for additional expenses. Most importantly, make sure the gig is worth your time. People don't understand how much work is involved in these projects. I don't usually take on anyone unless they are "corporate."Need advice from a Graphic Designer!?
charge her by the hour, it is time consuming, and you are taking your time for her, so you should get paid by the hour.



you charge her for parts and labor, basically what you said.



$200 a month won't put bread on the table, don't be afraid to negotiate.

No comments:

Post a Comment